Averill Eberhardt: A shotgun wedding that did not require a shotgun

1865 (continued)


Then, late in Spring, Sally came to the house to see Gottlieb. He had been sitting in the backyard with Beatrix when the young woman asked Gottlieb to walk with her. Before they left the veranda, though, she told Gottlieb her news. “I’m with child!” Gottlieb smiled widely, but it was the wrong reaction for Sally. “Gottlieb Eberhardt! If you think you can make a fool of myself--!!” “Calm down, lovely!” “Calm down? How canna? I didn’t know! My menses are gone! My mother is going to know! My father is going to kill me!” “Well, maybe he will not, darling.”



Gottlieb held Sally’s hands in his, and, looking into her eyes, asked. “Sally Riley, will you do me the honour of becoming my wife?” “What--? Are you serious, Gottlieb? You cannot mock me!” “I am not trying to, lovely. I am asking you to marry me.” “Because I am with child?” “Well, yes. First of all, because of that, but also, we have talked about our dreams of going away and live our lives, haven’t we?” “Y-yes.” “Well, this is our opportunity. If you have me, we can get married and then we can go away together! I know that my family would have liked us to wait until we got married to get to this point, but they like you, Sal!” She raised her eyebrows in scepticism, “They like me as a neighbour, but who knows who they had chosen for you to marry, Gottlieb! I am nobody!”

Gottlieb shook his head. “You don’t know my family that well, Sal. Papa comes from a very humble background and he has never shied away from it or tried to hide it. He would never think himself above any other person, even less, you. I love you, Sal. That is all that matters to my family.” The young woman was still nervous, pointing over her shoulder at Beatrix, still sitting by her garden, she asked. “What about Mrs. Eberhardt?” “Like my father, Mama only wants us to be happy. If I am happy with you, she will give us her blessing.”

His arguments left her without words; it had been precisely how convincing Gottlieb always was what got her in this situation, but Sally wanted to believe that he would not leave her alone in her predicament. “All right, yes, I will marry you.”

“Great! Let us go and tell Mama!”


 

There was no going back. Gottlieb took Sally’s hand and literally dragged her to Beatrix’s side. He explained that he had asked Sally to marry him and she said yes; they wanted her blessing. Beatrix was shocked. She liked the young woman very much, and actually quite expected this news in the long run, but a knowing look at the girl’s bosom told her what she needed to know. “Oh, Sally! Gottlieb, are you both sure this is what you want?” Sally was red in the face, “Mrs. Eberhardt, I am with child and I can assure you that it is your son’s.” Beatrix got her own blush, even after everything. “I thought that was the motivation behind the suddenness of this news, but still, is this what you both want?”

Gottlieb again smiled as carefreely as was his custom. “Yes, Mama! Sally and I have talked about it. We want the same things!” “Which are?” “Well, we want to go away and see the world, and we wanted to go together! If we get married now no one will object to Sally and I traveling alone together!” Beatrix sighed. “Come here, sit down with me for a moment, the two of you. There. That is all well, darling, but now, things are not going to be as easy as that. A child changes everything.” Sally was on the verge of tears, she knew that things were going to be different, but she really was distraught. If Mrs. Eberhardt convinced Gottlieb not to marry her, what was she going to do?! “I told you she would not allow it, Gottlieb!” The young woman was about to stand up and run, but Beatrix held her hand. “It’s not that, Sally. In fact, I do not doubt that your condition is my son’s responsibility, and as such, he will stand with you and get married to you. But you must think of making a life for you and your child. I am not sure that going away would be the best option. Here you have your family, Sally and Gottlieb has us. We can be of help.” “So, you are not against our marriage?” Looking at Gottlieb she replied, “I wish my son had waited until after getting married to lay with you, Sally, but I am not against the marriage. I just want you to consider what you will do afterwards.”

Gottlieb intervened, “yes, we can do that, but for now, I think we should get the wedding going, right Sal?” The girl nodded and Beatrix could see that none of them were able to see beyond that point. “Very well. We will wait for your father to come home, Gottlieb, then we can go to Sally’s to ask for her hand. Is today good for your father, Sally?” “The sooner the better, Mrs. Eberhardt, and my pa will be home early this evening since there’s not much work in the back field yet.”

 

--------------------

Averill got home in time, and Beatrix told him the news. He was livid with Gottlieb for putting Sally in such position! He scolded the young man and that was the harshest he’d ever been with his son. The whole house rattled with his loud voice. The worst words for Gottlieb were when his father told his he was disappointed in his behaviour.

Still, the Eberhardts got ready and took the short walk to Sally’s house that evening. The ambient was tense, of course. When Sally got home, she told her mother that Gottlieb and his family were coming over to ask for her hand, and Olivia Riley immediately looked at her daughter’s belly. “What have you done, girl!?” “Ma! Why would you think that?” “Sally Riley, are you with child, yes, or no?” Sally could not stand her mother’s eyes. “Ma, I am, but I’m telling you the truth, Gottlieb is going to marry me!” That gave Olivia pause. “Are you sure?” YES! They are coming here tonight, as soon as father comes from the field, they should be here.” “I hope that is true, for your own good, Sally.”

 

When Averill, Beatrix and Gottlieb arrived, Timothy Riley and his wife, along with his parents were all huddled in the parlour when Sally opened the door and led the Eberhardts in. The request was granted, and a date was proposed in the early summer. No one objected to that, and so Gottlieb Eberhardt and Sally Riley got engaged.

 

-----------------

 

A couple of days later, Averill and Aldric were playing chess. Averill was still quite upset about his son’s behaviour and had chastised both Aldric and Gregor about being men enough not to put girls in situations like the one Gottlieb got Sally in.

“You have sisters to think about! Would you like that any bub comes and does that to your sisters? You must consider that before you put your thing out before any girl!”



 

Aldric was also disappointed in his brother. They all liked Sally, and he thought she would become part of the family, but in an honourable way. The wedding that was to take place shortly was not the way to do it. He hoped he would never get to be so lustful as to forget his parents’ teachings when it was his time. Speaking of timing, it was the perfect moment to tell his father his own news. Once Averill was again absorbed in the game, Aldric started telling him.

 

“Papa, I need to tell you something.” Averill looked up from the board, narrowing his eyes, a bit suspicious. “What is it, my boy?” “A few weeks ago, I sent a letter requesting a place to study at Britechester College. The Dean of Arts replied to me and told me that they would be reviewing my application and I should expect a reply soon.” Averill was happily surprised that time! “What! You are going to university? My first son is going to be a college student?” Aldric smiled, at least the news was sitting well with his father, “Not sure yet, Papa. But I wanted to share this with you. It is good that they replied, isn’t it?” “Good? It is fantastic! I am so happy, my boy! Please let me and your mother know as soon as they write to you again.” Aldric was cautious, “They may write to tell me I did not make it, Papa.” “Nonsense! Gregor can recite from many books, but you are so smart, Aldric! I am sure they will be happy to have you.” With that, the father and son resumed their game.



 

Just before summer started, a storm came down from the mountains making the valley feel as if winter was returning. Marieke and Aldric were coming back from a walk around the village.

“I just don’t understand why they decided to not take the time to get a nice dress for Sally. With her rosy cheeks she would look lovely in a wedding gown; if they waited until the end of summer instead of next week to get married, I am sure that something wonderful could be made for Sally.” Even though their parents were very open with their physical affection in front of their children, and Marieke herself was already in a courtship to get engaged, that was one conversation Aldric did not want to have with his dear sister.



 

“Ah, well. You know how impulsive Gott is. And Sally is quite the same. Maybe that is why they got along so fast; don’t you agree?” Marieke shrugged, “Hmh, maybe. But there is the issue of the accommodations. Do you think that they will move in with the Rileys? It is a bit tight in their house, isn’t it?” “Yes, it is. And, well, I don’t know. I think that Gregor said he was moving up to a room in the attic or the basement, to leave his and Gott’s room for the newlyweds.” “Ah, that would make sense.”

With that, Aldric quickly changed the topic. “I am so nervous, Mari! What if the College don’t accept my application?” His sister was a pragmatist. “In that case you can start an apprenticeship here like Gregor, and maybe you can apply again next year, or to a different college. I am sure that Papa would not mind paying for you to go to any university. We are all so proud of you, Al!” “Thank you, Mari. It means a lot to hear you say that.”



 

Then it was the first week in the summer, and the Rileys came over to The Mill to witness Sally’s and Gottlieb’s marriage. Even if the circumstances were not ideal, Timothy and Olivia Riley had warmed to the idea of their daughter getting married to one of the Eberhardt boys. After all, Mr. Eberhardt and his family never got airs because they were rich. They still liked to mingle with the townspeople in the festivals, and in general they were good neighbours.



 

Brun was excited as she did in all weddings of her siblings, and Seamus and Lucia Riley, Sally’s grandparents, were also enjoying the event. Sally had insisted on not getting fitted for a new dress because of her condition: if the seamstress noticed, the whole village would know soon enough! Of course, this was only discussed with her mother and future mother-in-law. To all others, the word was that she did not care for that at all. She got her best blouse and skirt, and that would be the outfit for her.

Still, Gottlieb got an earful when he said he would be wearing his daily clothes on the day. “You will do no such thing, Gottlieb Eberhardt.” His mother said. “Your bride can do that, but you and your family will wear our best or second best as a minimum to show that we are truly glad to welcome Sally into the fold.” And so, the men wore their formal suits, while the women wore their best or second-best gowns, as Beatrix indicated.



 

Mr. Bryan Landgraab was in town for business with Averill, and so he had asked the young man to the house for the occasion. Averill was not one to hide the truth and he was sure that it was much better to support his son and his bride openly, than to try to hide something that would be obvious soon enough. If old Mr. Landgraab had a problem with that, well, it would be his problem.



 

The Rileys were glad to see Sally so happy. At least the incident had only accelerated something that was good, they hoped.



 

Beatrix insisted on having a photograph on the day, and even if Sally took care to put her hands in front of her trying to block her middle, her whole self, shone with an aura that almost gave away her condition.



 

 

Comments