Decades Challenge TS4: 1890s Chapter 5


Rowanwood Farm, Windenburg Island, 1899.

Dear Holly,
I hope this letter will find you and your family well. Life has been kind to me, dear sister. My husband, Mr. McPherson, is a hard working man. The farm has grown so much under his care! Perhaps you remember from my old letter when I arrived to the farm that I said the house was small but nice. Well, the house is most certainly not small any longer. Mr. McPherson is a very generous man, and he has provided for me and his children well. Our house is lovely and very much everything we need.



Something that Mr. McPherson enjoys is giving us as many gifts as he can. He recently brought a man photographer to the house. We had a family portrait, sister!!! I am sending you a small print copy of it. Maybe you remember that I mentioned the children. Now you can see them! On my right is Vernon, our eldest. The girl is Valerie, and her brother to the left of my husband is Vaughn, I have Vincent in my arms and Victor is in his father's. The little girl is Vanessa, and finally, I am with child again, sister! What a blessing!

We now have a large kitchen apart from the dining room.

Mr. McPherson wisely decided that it was important to give the children their own rooms, so we have a large room for the boys.

...and a very pretty room for the girls.






















With six children and one more in the way, there is always a loud house.





I have one of those new tubs to do the laundry. It is nice not to have to run all the way to the river to have clean clothes! Mr. McPherson set up a pair of sticks with some ropes that he calls clothes lines just next to the tub, so that I can easily put the clothes on them to dry. How considerate of him, isn't it?

I know that I am not telling you any news, since you are also blessed with a remarkable husband, sister, but I hope that my letter brings a smile to your lips and that you remember me fondly. I have to go now, the clothes are dry on the lines. There is always a lot of work, but having the family I have, I would not have it any other way. Your loving sister, Mrs. Vance McPherson.

Comments